Installation instructions for the Trail Forged WJ Front Lower Control Arm Skids.
Installation should only be performed by an experienced mechanic. If you do not have all the necessary tools, experience, or confidence to undertake this project, please seek help before beginning.
Notes before starting: Installation is relatively simple, but does require welding. These skids are intended for factory unmodified lower control arm brackets, and are not guaranteed to fit any aftermarket brackets, or the stock brackets if they are excessively damaged.
- Sharpie / paint pen
- Sanding Disc
- Welder (MIG preferred)
- To begin, hold the new skids up to your axle for intended alignment. The left and right side are identical. In preparation of cleaning, use a sharpie or paint pen to trace all perimeters and weld areas on your factory control arm brackets.
- Sand all paint from weld areas. The objective is to have clean bare metal within 1/2″ of weld area in all directions to minimize weld contamination.
- Double check skid alignment to ensure all weld areas are completely free of paint and rust, finalize position and tack in place.
- Before finish welding, note the heat that will be going into your control arm brackets. There will be enough heat to shorten the life of the control arm bushings if they are still bolted into the axle. Option one, unbolt the control arms from the axle allowing the bushing to be slid out of place. Option two, leave the control arms bolted in, but mitigate the heat input by welding in short stitches and cooling the bracket with air or a damp rag between each section. The choice is yours.
- Proceed with finish welding, let cool, and paint as desired.
- If the control arms were unbolted for welding, reinstall them and torque bolts to proper spec.
Great job, you’re done! Go forth and bash your axle against rocks without fear of buckling those exposed factory lower control arm brackets.
Notes: These instructions are meant to be a general guideline and not a factory certified service procedure. We are not responsible for any failures or issues that may arise in others’ installs. This product is intended for offroad use only, vehicle owner assumes all responsibility by purchasing and/or installing this product.